About Me

My photo
Greetings. I am the Illusive One. For many years now I have been a huge video game player, movie viewer, and book reader. For almost as long, I have been a critic of these things and many people respect my opinions of these things and have often said I belong on G4 doing reviews on X-Play or a similar show. Sadly that is not likely to happen. So instead I shall do reviews for you, uninfluenced by other reviewers, of video games books, movies, and, occasionally, music and political actions. I hope you find this informative and helpful. Thank you for your time.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

First Thoughts on Dragon Age: Legends

            As I’m sure you all know, I love Dragon Age and just about every other game made by BioWare.  So as you can imagine, I was curious when I heard about the Facebook game Dragon Age Legends.  I wasn’t really hyped or geeking out when I heard about it because Facebook games have never impressed me the way they have other people.  Maybe it’s because they’re strictly online games.  Maybe it’s because so many of them require others to effectively play.  Or maybe it’s because it takes so damn long to get anywhere in them.    Or maybe it’s all of the above.  Bottom line, I don’t like Facebook games.  Under normal conditions I wouldn’t even consider playing such a game, let alone write a review on it, but seeing as how it’s Dragon Age I decided to give my thoughts on it.

            As far as I know, this is the first time BioWare or even EA Games have made a game for Facebook.  In fact I don’t think any major video game company has before now.  It came out around the same time as Dragon Age 2 and I checked it out for about five minutes before getting bored.  In recent months, however, I’ve found myself not really wanting to play video games, (it’s something that happens for me every now and then) but got bored a few days ago and decided to take another look at it.
            From what I gather, you play as the champion of a Free Marches Viscount named Ravi.  To sum it up, weird things are happening in the lands surrounding Ravi's city and you go out investigate.  Apparently, his son is somehow involved, but I have no idea how he fits in.  As far as I am into it, that's all I've been able to gather.  This is something that I find very odd, because of the game's developers.  Even BioWare's crappier games still had decent, follow able storylines but this one doesn’t.  Maybe it gets better the further you get into it but as far as I know the plot is fairly bland and boring.
            The combat is a basic turn based system, not unlike Final Fantasy X and the abilities are very reminiscent of those of the consul Dragon Age games.  It also has a number of recognizable enemies, most notably the Darkspawn.  As usual, you can buy and sell items that you need or don’t need and said weapons and armor give you different boosters in strength as such.  You can also build a castle in it.  Yes a castle.  Now, why do you need a castle?  Well to make potions and bombs.  And that’s about it.  But still, it is pretty cool to have a castle      
After that, however, it just becomes another Facebook game.  Like all medieval Facebook games, it requires you to wait for hours for your energy to recharge in order to continue your quest.  Another annoying thing about it is your companion system.  In this game, you can only use your companions for one battle and you have to wait a number of hours before you can use them again.  This makes the game incredibly difficult and tedious, especially if you lose a fight.  For example, if you have a particular set of characters that work well for you, this makes it impossible for you to use that set more than once under two hours.  Even worse, if you screw up and die you waist said characters for a number of hours and this pisses me off beyond belief.  The most annoying thing about this game, however, is, like all Facebook games, the premium content.  While you can pick up a number of weapons and armor from battles and win them in missions, you can’t get the really good ones unless you actually buy them with real money.  This is something that all Facebook games do and it pisses me off to the point where I'm willing to disembowel Mark Zuckerberg.

So what else is there to say?  Well, I hate Facebook games.  That’s about it and all my negatives draw from that simple fact.  I just don't like them and that's where all my complaints come from.  As far as these kinds of games go however, I have to say, I do enjoy this one.  If you like Facebook games and Dragon Age, I say give this one a shot.  Odds are I’ll stop playing this game before the month ends, but other people may enjoy it.  And that’s all I have to say on the matter.          

No comments:

Post a Comment