About Me

My photo
Greetings. I am the Illusive One. For many years now I have been a huge video game player, movie viewer, and book reader. For almost as long, I have been a critic of these things and many people respect my opinions of these things and have often said I belong on G4 doing reviews on X-Play or a similar show. Sadly that is not likely to happen. So instead I shall do reviews for you, uninfluenced by other reviewers, of video games books, movies, and, occasionally, music and political actions. I hope you find this informative and helpful. Thank you for your time.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wizards First Rule Review

            I recently found myself going through a lot of my old books with the intention of donating them to my local library when I came across the fantasy novel, Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind.  It was Goodkind's first novel and the first book of the Sword of Truth series.  So I decided before I donated this book I would write a review on it.  This is the Illusive One's Wizard's First Rule review.
            The plot of the book revolves around Richard Cypher in the aftermath of his father's brutal murder.  He encounters a woman named Kahlan in the woods one day and in doing so gets involved in her quest to find an ancient wizard and to stop an evil emperor named Darken Rahl from using an ancient magic that will enable him to rule the world. 
            The only positive thing I have to say about this book is that it had believable characters.  Other then that it's all bad.  Their was way to much talking, crappy fight descriptions, and various events that didn't seem to have any purpose other then filling up pages.  To summarize this book in a single sentence, it's five hundred pages of descriptions of terrain, walking and dialog, a hundred pages of shitty fight descriptions, and about two hundred pages of suspense with endings that leave you hungry for more. 
            The only redeeming factor about this book is what the wizards first rule is.  It states that people are stupid and will believe anything as long as the want it to be true or are afraid that it is true.  In my experience with people, this is true.
            My final recommendation is to stay away from this shit-fest of words that tries to pass itself off as a fantasy book.  The few sequels I have read are no better with endings that are just traps to lure you into the next book.

All Around
4/10
       

No comments:

Post a Comment