About Me

My photo
Greetings. I am the Illusive One. For many years now I have been a huge video game player, movie viewer, and book reader. For almost as long, I have been a critic of these things and many people respect my opinions of these things and have often said I belong on G4 doing reviews on X-Play or a similar show. Sadly that is not likely to happen. So instead I shall do reviews for you, uninfluenced by other reviewers, of video games books, movies, and, occasionally, music and political actions. I hope you find this informative and helpful. Thank you for your time.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Illusive One's Dragon Age: Origins Review, Part 4

           Well, it's time for the Illusive One's Review of Dragon Age: Origins, Part 4.  As I said on my previous post, this one will be dedicated to some of the strange things about the game; just little things that I loved and hated about the game.
           For starters were the graphics.  I mean, just look how cartoony they are in comparison to other non-Nintendo games that have come out in the past few years.  There are often graphical glitches that you wouldn't expect in this generation of gaming such as limbs going through cloths or weapons just disappearing into the ground when a character gets up.  It kind of seemed like Bioware got lazy in this department, (they were probably more dedicated to Mass Effect 2).





           Then there is the blood in this game.  I mean, good God, it just gets everywhere.  Even a single stab just splatters in unexpected ways.  And it stays on you!  I mean the only way to get it off is to travel or have your dog lick it all up.  Yes, your dog can lick you clean of blood.  Make of that what you will. 



           There are a few oddities I noticed with the plot as well.  For example, even if you didn't use a certain origin story there are references to the character you could have played as.  Another has to do with the human noble origin story.  A character introduced at its beginning was Arl Rendon Howe, voiced by Tim Curry, (his image is to the left).  Now how obvious is it that guy would betray you?  I mean come on!  He looks like a rat and he's voiced by Tim Curry.  What more warning do you need?


           The last thing I wanted to note were a few references made to other pieces of media.  Towards the end of the game you have to rescue the queen from Loghain and to get her out she dresses up as a guard.  A possible response to this; Aren't you a little short for a guard?  If you don't know what that's from may you burn in fires of Hell.  The last one to note is a completely random event.  A meteor falls to the earth with a baby inside of it.  Somehow it survives and a local couple adopts it as their own.  WHAT THE HELL?!  Is that foreshadowing a possible alien invasion to Thedas?  Is there going to be a Dragon Age version of Superman who's going to save the world?  Oh well, whatever.  It still makes me laugh.
            And that's it for part four.  If you've stuck with be this long, please stay and continue to do so.  Next is the expansion to Origins, Awakenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment